This tutorial assumes that we
- do not care about comercial applications of the seedbox;
- want to setup a fully functional seedbox with good performance on a separate computer within a home network;
- dislike the Console/Terminal but not completely;
- will access our seedbox remotely from a local network from a second or a third computer, or from a remote location outside the local network, for instance, from a university.
PART 1 (THE SEEDBOX ITSELF)
- Install a fresh copy of Ubuntu 10.04 LTE Desktop Homepage | Ubuntu , boot it and play with it. After playing a bit an update window should pop up. Click Update! A system restart will be required after the update.
- Click the right mouse button on the desktop -> Change Desktop Background -> Visual Effects -> Choose None. This is actually a crucial step because VNC Viewer does not support visual effects from a remote connection, therefore it will not work.
- Click System -> Preferences -> Remote Desktop. Enable Allow other users to view desktop, Allow other users to control desktop. Disable You must confirm each access to this machine. Enable Require user to enter this password (type in a password you like).
- Go to your Home folder. You will find some default folders there. Leave them there and create another folder and name it Torrent Downloads. Since downloads from various programs goes into Downloads by default, we do not want to create mess, so we will use a separate folder for torrent downloads.